Welcome to FAM @ TU Wien
Stochastic mathematical finance is a very active field of research which is developed in academia as well as by practitioners in banks and insurance companies. For the management of financial risk and the pricing and hedging of derivatives, e.g. options, the use of advanced stochastic methods became an indispensable tool in recent years.
The modelling of insurance risk has already a longer tradition and is the classical domain of actuaries.
The areas of financial and actuarial mathematics become more and more interrelated and present an excellent example of a fruitful interplay between basic research and practical applications. The corresponding mathematical techniques are increasingly important in the daily business of banks and insurance companies, which offer excellent job opportunities to specialists in the field.
- FAM @ TU Wien is the union of two research units since 2019. The Research Unit of Risk Management in Financial and Actuarial Mathematics (E105-01) is headed by Professor Uwe Schmock. The Research Unit of Stochastic Financial and Actuarial Mathematics (E105-05) is headed by Professor Thorsten Rheinländer.
The research interests of our group cover active areas such as arbitrage theory, utility optimization, hedging of derivatives, interest rate theory, credit risk, rare events and insurance mathematics.
- FAM organises talks (e.g. in the framework of the lecture series in Financial and Actuarial Mathematics, the "Actuarial Modelling Club", the "Vienna Seminars on Mathematical Finance and Probability"), conferences, workshops, sommer as well as continuous professonal development for actuaries to stimulate the research environment and provide practitioners with access to the most recent advances in the area of financial mathematics.
- We offer a Bachelor and Master in Financial and Actuarial Mathematics. These pages are mainly in German.
- PRisMa Lab
- In the Christian Doppler Laboratory for Portfolio Risk Management, we did joint application-oriented research with close cooperation with our industry partners UniCredit Bank Austria (BA), Austrian Federal Financing Agency (ÖBFA), COR&FJA and Austrian Control Bank (OeKB).
- FAM goes public
- Posters, information material and instructive simulations (games) for the interested general public.
- List of recent job offers in the area of financial and actuarial mathematics in Austria.
- We are a part of the Department of Statistics and Mathematical Methods in Economics at the Vienna University of Technology, which is located in the center of Vienna, near the opera.
TU Wien (Vienna University of Technology)
Financial and Actuarial Mathematics (E105-01&05 FAM)
Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10, 1040 Vienna, Austria
phone: (+43-1) 58801-10511