[FAM-news] reminder for upcoming seminars and talks

Sandra Trenovatz sandra at fam.tuwien.ac.at
Mon May 14 09:12:42 CEST 2012

This time we announce talks at University of Vienna

Mo, 14.05.2012, 17:00, seminar room D 1.07
1040 Wien, Nordbergstraße 15, University of Vienna, UZA 4, 1st floor

    Jiří Černý (University of Vienna)
    http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~cerny/
    "Logarithmic Sobolev inequalities"
    (Seminar on Probability Theory)

For further details see
http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~finance_hp/seminarSS12_prob.html

We, 16.05.2012, 16:15-17:00, Olga Taussky-Todd Raum (C 2.09)
1040 Wien, Nordbergstraße 15, University of Vienna, UZA 4, 2nd floor

    Ivar Ekeland (Université Paris-Dauphine)
    http://www.ceremade.dauphine.fr/~ekeland/
    "A hard inverse function theorem"
    (Mathematisches Kolloquium)

Abstract:
Classically, inverse function theorems are in finite-dimensional spaces,
or in Banach spaces. It is well known that this framework is
insufficient in many important cases, for instance when one deals with
PDEs instead of ODEs. In such cases, one needs an inverse function
theorem in C^/infty, which is a Fréchet space. Such theorems are called
"hard" inverse function theorems; the first one is due to John Nash, and
the method was clarified and extended by Jurgen Moser. There have been
many variants since then, but all rely on the Newton approximation
scheme, where the quadratic convergence overcomes the loss of
derivatives. In this talk, I will review the general framework and
describe a new result due to Éric Séré, Jacques Fejoz and myself, which
does not use the Newton method.

15:45 coffee & cake, Common Room (C 2.06)

Furthermore we pre-announce of an event in September

On September 17-19-th, WPI Vienna will host the
second International conference on Energy and Commodities,

The registration is free but mandatory, up to 2 weeks
prior to the event.

Confirmed speakers, so far, include:
  Rene' Aid, Electricite' de France
  Ole Barndorff-Nielsen, Aarhus University
  Matt Davidson, Kyloe Energy
  Emanuel Gobet,  Ecole Polytechnique, Paris
  Ruediger Kiesel, Lehrstuhl, Duisburg
  Delphine Lautier, Paris-Dauphine
  Brenda-Lopez Cabrera, Humboldt University, Berlin
  Peter Tankov, Ecole Polytechnique, Paris
  Xavier Warin, Electricite de France, Paris

The organizers are:
  Rene Aid, Fred Benth, Valery Kholodnyi,
  Peter Laurence, Almut Veraart

The conference is co-funded by WPI, Electricite de France and Verbund

Registration, via email to:
laurenceWPI at gmail.com

Updates will be posted at
http://www.math.nyu.edu/~laurence/Wpi/vienna-Energy-bis.htm
(--> Conference II)

The organizers invite the submission of CONTRIBUTED TALKS.