[FAM-news] reminder for upcoming talks/events

Sandra Trenovatz sandra at fam.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Sep 27 15:39:04 CEST 2011

This time we announce a talk at University of Vienna

Wed, 28.09.2011, 16:15, seminar room C-209, UZA 4
University of Vienna, Nordbergstrasse 15, 1040, Wien

    Rama Cont (Columbia University)
    "Functional Ito Calculus"

Abstract:
We develop a non-anticipative functional calculus which extends the Ito
calculus to path-dependent functionals of right- continuous
semimartingales [1, 3], using a notion of  non-anticipative functional
derivative introduced by B. Dupire [6]. This calculus is shown to be, in
a precise sense, a non-anticipative analogue of the Malliavin calculus;
however, our construction holds for a large class of semimartingales and
makes no use of the Gaussian properties of the Wiener space.

Our framework, which is sufficiently general to cover functionals
depending on quadratic variation and involving exit times of a process,
is used to obtain several new results. First, we obtain a martingale
representation formula for square integrable functionals of a
semimartingale [2]. Second, we characterize local martingales which
satisfy a regularity property as solutions of a functional differential
equation, for which existence and uniqueness results are given [5].
These results have natural applications in stochastic control and
mathematical finance: they allow to derive a universal pricing equation
and a general hedging formula for path-dependent options, and
reformulate Backward Stochastic Differential Equations (BSDEs) as PDEs
on path space.

Based on joint work with David Fournie (Columbia University).