[FAM-news] position at uct (fwd)

Walter Schachermayer by way of Andreas Schamanek schamane at fam.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Sep 8 10:28:46 CEST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 10:21:08 +0200
From: Peter Ouwehand <Peter at MATHS.uct.ac.za>
Subject: position at uct

Dear all,

Apologies for multiple and/or unwanted emails. I've pasted (and also
attached) an advertisement for a position at the University of Cape
Town.

Regards,

Peter Ouwehand

UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR/ SENIOR LECTURER/LECTURER
DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS AND APPLIED MATHEMATICS

The Department is large and dynamic, with an establishment of over
thirty faculty members.  We seek to make three new appointments with
effect from January 2007 or as soon as possible thereafter.

Applications are sought for posts at all levels, from Lecturer to
Associate Professor, in all fields compatible with the research
interests and activities of the Department, including enrichment
programmes for schools. Please see our website at www.mth.uct.ac.za
for details of research groupings and activities. We particularly
encourage applications from candidates with research and teaching
interests in Mathematics of Computer Science; or with computational
interests and expertise in areas of Applied Mathematics and
Mathematical Modelling; or in the Mathematics of Finance.

A minimum qualification of a PhD is normally expected and young
mathematicians are particularly encouraged to apply. Applicants for a
senior position should have good teaching and strong international
research records, and the ability to raise research funding and
develop strong research programmes in their fields of interest.
Candidates should indicate for which level of position they are
applying. Level of appointment will be commensurate with experience
and standing of applicants.

The annual remuneration packages, including benefits, are:
Associate Professor: R373 968
Senior Lecturer: R315 536
Lecturer: R257 103

Please send: a letter of motivation, your full CV (no certificates), a
summary CV (please refer to the template provided on our website
http://www.mth.uct.ac.za ) and details (email/tel) of 3 referees, to:
Mr K Salman (Ref: 1163), Staff Recruitment & Selection, University of
Cape Town, Rondebosch, South Africa 7701 by 22 September 2006.
Telephone: +27 21 650-2192, email: ksalman at bremner.uct.ac.za website:
http://www.uct.ac.za

We are committed to equity in our employment practices.  It is our
intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our equity
objectives.

--
Peter Ouwehand
Senior Lecturer
peter at maths.uct.ac.za
tel (021) 650 3198
cel  083 697 8425
fax (021) 650 2334

"Just at present, almost all university activities in Britain are
described in the language of accountancy. So even an activity such as
philosophy is described [...] in terms of deliverability, production
targets, output monitoring, measuring, auditing, appraisal,
value-added, point-of-service strategic resource allocations, and
other horrors[...] grotesquely unfitted to describing attempts to
understand the world."
[Simon Blackburn in "Truth: A Guide for the Perplexed".]

[attachment with same content as above removed by admin]