[FAM-news] reminder, this week's seminars

Sandra Trenovatz sandra@fam.tuwien.ac.at
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:13:11 +0100

Timetable

Tuesdays and Thursdays, 16:30-18:00,
TU FH, Turm A, 6. Stock, Seminarraum 107

 Tu, 16.12.2003 Umut Cetin
                Trading in Illiquid Markets

Classical theories of financial markets assume infinitely liquid
markets. We study an illiquid market where price paid/received
depends on the size and the timing of the trade. The prices are not
necessarily moved by a large trader. Dependency of the price on the
trade size comes from the imbalance between the supply and the demand
for the asset. Hence, classical models become a special case. We
first find the self-financing condition in presence of illiquidities
and see that the self-financing condition restricts the set of
allowed trading strategies, i.e. not all predictable trading
straegies can be used. We then study conditions for no arbitrage.
Since the set of feasible strategies is shrunk and there is
furthermore a liquidity cost, the market is no longer complete even
if there exists a unique martingale measure for the "marginal price"
of the asset. However, we can get an approximately complete market
when the martingale measure is unique. In this incomplete market we
study the problem of optimal investment.

 by Financial and Actuarial Mathematics, TU Vienna, 2002

For further details (including abstracts) see
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/events/