How to get to the TU Wien
The TU Wien (Vienna University of Technology) and almost all buildings are located in the city centre at the southern edge of the first district.
Travel to Vienna by plane
- Local airlines:
- Find best flights:
Vienna Airport to TU Wien
The international Vienna International Airport is about 20 km away from the city centre.
There are however the following options:
- Local or suburban railway S7 ("Schnellbahn S7"):
Departure from the airport approximately every 30 minutes, travel time 24 minutes to station "Wien Mitte" (about 9 stations), change to the underground/subway (U-Bahn) U4 (take the elevator down, the underground station is called "Landstrasse") and continue in direction "Hütteldorf" for two stations, get off at "Karlsplatz".
The single ticket for the suburban railway from the airport and one direction within Vienna costs €; 4,40. The ticket machine is located on the platform at the airport. Press "National ticket with selection of destination" (Fahrkarte Inland mit Zielwahl), then choose destination "Wien Mitte" and press "OK buy ticket".
- City Airport Train (CAT):
The CAT transports you nonstop within 16 minutes to "Wien Mitte" every 30 minutes (return ticket € 21,- (19,-), single ticket € 12,- (11,-) - the cheaper prices in brackets are only valid if you book the ticket(s) online),
After the City Airport Train (CAT) you have to change to public transport in Vienna (Vienna Lines / Wiener Linien) to come to TU Wien - a ticket for one direction costs € 2,20. From "Wien Mitte" you change to the underground/subway U4 (the station is called "Landstrasse") and continue in direction "Hütteldorf" two stations, get off at "Karlsplatz".
- Regional buses / Vienna Airport Lines (Postbus):
Departure every 30 minutes to "Morzinplatz/Schwedenplatz" or "Westbahnhof" (single ticket €; 8,- return ticket €; 13,-).
After the Vienna Airport Lines (Postbus) you have to change to public transport in Vienna (Vienna Lines / Wiener Linien) to come to TU Wien - a ticket for one direction costs € 2,20. From "Schwedenplatz" you change to the underground/subway U1 and continue in direction "Reumannplatz" two stations, get off at "Karlsplatz".
You can call a taxi with the number +43-1-40100. The taxi stand at the Vienna Airport is in front of the Arrival/Departure hall. Taxis can be very expensive (up to 45 Euros), but if you ask you can get a taxi for about 30 Euros or if you order it in advance even cheaper, see e.g.: coolcab.at, flughafen-taxi-wien.at or flughafentaxi-wien.at.
You can also search for directions on the following webpages:
Travel to Vienny by train/bus
You can get information about departure times by phoning +43 05-1717 or in the internet at http://www.oebb.at/.
Most overland buses stop in coach stations which are near railway stations.
- Railway station "Wien Hauptbahnhof" / Vienna Main Station: Take underground/subway "U1" (in direction "Leopoldau") and get off after 2 stations at "Karlsplatz". Take exit "Wiedner Hauptstrasse" for Freihaus building or exit "Resselpark" for the Main building (Hauptgebäude) of TU Wien.
- Railway station "Wien Westbahnhof" / Vienna West station: Take underground/subway "U3" (in direction "Simmering") for 3 stations to "Volkstheater" and change there to underground/subway "U2" to "Karlsplatz (endstation of "U2").
- Railway station "Wien Meidling" / Vienna Meidling station: Take tramway 62 (in direction "Kärntner Ring, Oper") or (the light-yellow and blue) tramway "Badner Bahn" (in direction "Wien Oper") and get off after about 10 stations at "Resselgasse".
Public transport in Vienna - Vienna Lines (Wiener Linien)
The central buildings of the TU Vienna can be reached with the metro U1, U2, U4 (station Karlsplatz), the tramway lines "Badner Bahn", 1 and 62 (station Resselgasse) and the tramway lines D and 2 (station Opernring).
Tickets are available at the airport, at underground stations and at all tobacconists.
- From the metro station "Karlsplatz" take exit "Wiedner Hauptstrasse" for Freihaus building or exit "Resselpark" for the Main building (Hauptgebäude) of TU Wien.
- The tramway station "Resselpark" is in front of the Freihaus building - for the Main building (Hauptgebäude) of TU Wien go accross the street and then to the park. You cannot miss it.
- From the tramway station "Opernring" you can walk through the passage below the street in direction of Wiedner Hauptstraße / Resselpark.
Travel by car
- From the south and east: Südautobahn (A2) - Südosttangente - Exit Gürtel - Südbahnhof - Prinz Eugenstraße - Schwarzenbergplatz - Karlsplatz
- From the west: Westautobahn (A1) - Hietzinger Kai - Schönbrunner Straße - Rechte Wienzeile - Karlsplatz
- From the north: Donauuferautobahn (A22) - Südosttangente - Exit Gürtel - Südbahnhof - Prinz Eugenstraße - Schwarzenbergplatz - Karlsplatz
There is an (expensive) garage in Operngasse 13, directly below Freihaus building. The cheapest garage near TU Wien is http://www.parkeninwien.at/.
A lot of hotels help with parking tickets, so we suggest that you ask them first.