Conference & Workshop Venue
The registration takes place at the entrance of in the lecture hall 1 ("Freihaus Hörsaal 1") in the "Freihaus" building of TU Vienna. The EAJ Educational Workshop als well as the plenary talks of the EAJ Conference will take place in this lecture hall. Contributed talks will also take place in lecture halls in the same floor.
"Freihaus Hörsaal 1"
"Freihaus" building, 1st floor, red section
Vienna University of Technology
Wiedner Hauptstrasse 8-10
1040 Vienna, Austria
The evening event in an Austrian wine tavern will be on Thursday, September 11, 2014.
Wiener Heuriger Schübel-Auer
1190 Wien, Kahlenberger Straße 22 or 1190 Wien, Zahnradbahnstraße 17
Location: end station of the tramway "D" ("D-Wagen")
The Conference Heuriger is co-sponsored by "Sparkassen Versicherung AG - Vienna Insurance Group"
Conference Welcome Reception & Presentation of Springer
Springer Verlag, the publisher of the European Actuarial Journal (EAJ), cordially invites all conference participants to a Welcome Reception on Wednesday, September 10, after the last talk at the Conference venue.
Springer Verlag will also present books covering topics in financial and actuarial mathematics, probability theory, pension funds and reinsurance, and many more.
Invited speakers will stay in the following hotel near TU Wien:
Additional hotels near TU are:
Hotel Carlton Opera: http://www.carlton.at/, Schikanedergasse 4, A-1040 Wien
Hotel Drei Kronen: http://www.hotel3kronen.at/, Schleifmühlgasse 25, A-1040 Wien
Hotel Papageno Vienna: http://www.hotelpapageno.at/, Wiedner Hauptstraße 23-25, A-1040 Wien
Hotel Johann Strauss: http://http://hotel-johann-strauss.at/, Favoritenstrasse 12, A-1040 Wien
Hotel Erzherzog Rainer: http://www.schick-hotels.com/, Wiedner Hauptstrasse 27-29, A-1040 Wien
Hotel Kaiserhof: http://www.hotel-kaiserhof.at/, Frankenberggasse 10, A-1040 Wien
Further accomodation in Vienna can be found here:
Vienna's official pages for visitors: http://www.wien.info/
State Opera: http://www.staatsoper.at/
State Theater: http://www.burgtheater.at/
Museums (selection): http://www.khm.at/, http://www.albertina.at/, http://www.mqw.at/
Vienna University of Technology
Electronic City Map
How to get to the TU Wien
The TU Wien (Vienna University of Technology) and almost all buildings are located in the city centre at the southern edge of the first district.
Travel to Vienna by plane
Most international carriers fly to Vienna International Airport VIE which is about 20 km away from the city centre.
- Local airline:
Vienna Airport to TU Wien
The international Vienna International Airport is about 20 km away from the city centre.
There are however the following options:
- Local or suburban railway S7 ("Schnellbahn S7") via "Wien Mitte" & U4:
Departure from the airport every 30 minutes, travel time 24 minutes to station "Wien Mitte" (about 9 stations), change to the underground/subway (U-Bahn) U4 (take the elevator down, the underground station is called "Landstrasse") and continue in direction "Hütteldorf" for two stations, get off at "Karlsplatz".
The single ticket for the suburban railway from the airport and one direction within Vienna costs € 4,20. The ticket vending machine is located on the platform at the airport. Press "National ticket with selection of destination" (Fahrkarte Inland mit Zielwahl), then choose destination "Wien Mitte" (or "Karlsplatz" if possible) and press "OK buy ticket".
- Train/Railjet via "Wien Hauptbahnhof" & U1:
Departure from the airport every 30 minutes, travel time 15 minutes directly to station "Wien Hauptbahnhof" (= main train station of Vienna), change to the underground/subway (U-Bahn) U1 and continue in direction "Leopoldau" for two stations, get off at "Karlsplatz".
The single ticket for the train from the airport and one direction within Vienna costs € 4,20. The ticket vending machine is located on the platform at the airport. Press "National ticket with selection of destination" (Fahrkarte Inland mit Zielwahl), then choose destination "Wien Hauptbahnhof" (or "Karlsplatz" if possible) and press "OK buy ticket".
- City Airport Train (CAT) via "Wien Mitte":
The CAT transports you non-stop within 16 minutes to "Wien Mitte/Landstraße" every 30 minutes (return ticket € 21,- (19,-), single ticket € 12,- (11,-) - the cheaper prices in brackets are only valid if you book the ticket(s) online),
After the City Airport Train (CAT) you have to change to public transport in Vienna (Vienna Lines / Wiener Linien) to come to TU Wien - a ticket for one direction costs € 2,40. From "Wien Mitte" you change to the underground/subway U4 (the station is called "Landstrasse") and continue in direction "Hütteldorf" two stations, get off at "Karlsplatz".
- Regional buses / Vienna Airport Lines (Postbus):
Departure every 30 minutes to "Morzinplatz/Schwedenplatz" or "Westbahnhof" (single ticket € 8,- return ticket € 13,-). Travel time approximately 50 minutes.
After the Vienna Airport Lines (Postbus) you have to change to public transport in Vienna (Vienna Lines / Wiener Linien) to come to TU Wien - a ticket for one direction costs € 2,40. From "Schwedenplatz" you change to the underground/subway U1 and continue in direction "Reumannplatz" two stations, get off at "Karlsplatz".
The taxi stand at the Vienna Airport is in front of the Arrival/Departure Hall. Taxis can be very expensive (about 45 Euros), but if you ask at a taxi stand in the Arrival Hall you can get a taxi for about 30-36 Euros. We do not recommend to order taxis at the arrival in advance as you might have to pay for the waiting time in case of a delay of the flight.
In case you want to take a taxi from the hotel to the airport we suggest to order a taxi in advance (we suggest to make it 12 hours or more in advance), see e.g.: coolcab.at or flughafen-taxi-wien.at and to be in time :-).
You can also search for directions on the following webpages:
Travel to Vienny by train/bus
You can get information about departure times by phoning +43 05-1717 or in the internet at http://www.oebb.at/.
Most overland buses stop in coach stations which are near railway stations.
- Railway station "Wien Hauptbahnhof" / Vienna Main Station: Take underground/subway "U1" (in direction "Leopoldau") and get off after 2 stations at "Karlsplatz". Take exit "Wiedner Hauptstrasse" for Freihaus building or exit "Resselpark" for the Main building (Hauptgebäude) of TU Wien.
- Railway station "Wien Westbahnhof" / Vienna West station: Take underground/subway "U3" (in direction "Simmering") for 3 stations to "Volkstheater" and change there to underground/subway "U2" to "Karlsplatz (final station of "U2").
- Railway station "Wien Meidling" / Vienna Meidling station: Take tramway 62 (in direction "Kärntner Ring, Oper") or (the light-yellow and blue) tramway "Badner Bahn" (in direction "Wien Oper") and get off after about 10 stations at "Resselgasse".
Public transport in Vienna - Vienna Lines (Wiener Linien)
The central buildings of the TU Vienna can be reached with the metro U1, U2, U4 (station Karlsplatz), the tramway lines "Badner Bahn", 1 and 62 (station Resselgasse) and the tramway lines D and 2 (station Opernring).
Tickets are available at the airport, at underground stations and at all tobacconists.
- From the metro station "Karlsplatz" take exit "Wiedner Hauptstrasse" for Freihaus building or exit "Resselpark" for the Main building (Hauptgebäude) of TU Wien.
- The tramway station "Resselpark" is in front of the Freihaus building - for the Main building (Hauptgebäude) of TU Wien go accross the street and then to the park. You cannot miss it.
- From the tramway station "Opernring" you can walk through the passage below the street in direction of Wiedner Hauptstraße / Resselpark.
Travel by car
- From the south and east: Südautobahn (A2) - Südosttangente - Exit Gürtel - Südbahnhof - Prinz Eugenstraße - Schwarzenbergplatz - Karlsplatz
- From the west: Westautobahn (A1) - Hietzinger Kai - Schönbrunner Straße - Rechte Wienzeile - Karlsplatz
- From the north: Donauuferautobahn (A22) - Südosttangente - Exit Gürtel - Südbahnhof - Prinz Eugenstraße - Schwarzenbergplatz - Karlsplatz
There is an (expensive) garage in Operngasse 13 (Garage "Technische Universität"), directly below Freihaus building of TU Wien. The cheapest garage near TU Wien is Mattiellistrasse 2-4 ("Karlsplatzgarage"). You can find further garages on http://www.parken.at/wien/.
A lot of hotels help with parking tickets, so we suggest that you ask them first.
Please send comments and suggestions to the conference & workshop secretariat